Thursday, July 2, 2015

TBT - Sega at 21

July 5th will be Sega's 21st birthday. I can still remember turning 21 and what a big deal it was; wonder if she's thinking the same.  How fortunate am I to have had such a special horse in my life for the past 18 years and I pinch myself, that she's been with me all but the first three years of her life.  Sometimes you just get lucky or maybe some things are just meant to be.

I hope it's the latter as I feel like we just belong. We understand each other.  She knows my walk, my door slam, my voice, and my anger (although it's so rare for that to come out around her).  She's like the child you always want to have - perfect student, pretty, athletic, popular and healthy beyond compare.  And so far she is aging well and seems to love her life in her huge stall with two windows, a door to see outside, lush green grass paddocks to graze, an occasional ride, a trip out every six months or so and more love than anyone could ever want or need.

I hope I'm writing this post again when she hits 25.  We've do real fireworks for the quarter century mark! As one trainer remarked to me a few years back, "when the mare goes we're  going to have a State funeral." 

Enjoy your holiday. I'll be hanging out with the caramel colored mare who loves Altoids.  Happy holiday!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this. It is a wonderful tribute to your outstanding friend.

    Sharing your story allows the rest of us to reflect on those on in a lifetime horses. I have been blessed to have a few; and I thought about each of them after reading your post.

    Your writing always "takes me back"...... "Pearce"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...